German-inspired pizza is a new take on comfort food
German comfort food and pizza collide on this flatbread that has plenty of bratwurst and sauerkraut with each bite.
For something just a little bit different for dinner that is light, rustic and hearty at the same time, how about some bratwurst pizza? Well, it's more than just bratwurst — it's sauerkraut, two kinds of cheese and a hint of rosemary.
And you'll never guess what the sauce is made of. It's Thousand Island dressing, which gives this pizza a bit of sweet to go along with the sauerkraut.
I think my fave part besides all of it are the apples on top. So for a fun and different pizza, make it a German-fest dinner tonight.
Bratwurst, apple and sauerkraut flatbread pizza recipe
This flatbread pizza is made with an Old World, rustic flair. Topped with bratwurst, two kinds of cheese, sauerkraut, apples and Thousand Island dressing, it will satisfy your German food craving tonight.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 servings flatbread
- 4 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing (for the pizza sauce)
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, strained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bratwurst sausage, cooked and cut in thin slices (like pepperoni)
- 1/2 an apple, cored and chopped
- 4 dashes coarsely ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons diced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly shredded purple cabbage
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing (for the topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay the flatbread on a large cookie sheet.
- Evenly spread the Thousand Island dressing on top of the flatbread.
- Top with a layer of Swiss cheese.
- Add a layer of sauerkraut.
- Top with slices of bratwurst.
- Sprinkle pepper and rosemary on top.
- Top with the apple, and bake in the oven until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with the purple cabbage, and drizzle Thousand Island dressing on top.
- Serve while hot.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.