With spring here, that means summer is right around the corner. Pool parties and bikini season will soon be upon us, so eating healthy meals is essential for feeling great during the warmer months.
For this healthy salad, I marinated chicken breast in a citrus champagne vinegar marinade. If you can’t find champagne vinegar, then substitute with apple cider vinegar since it has a slightly sweet flavor. I like to marinate my chicken overnight, but aim for at least 2 hours to ensure the best flavor. Once the chicken is grilled, I slice it and serve it over fresh, organic spring greens topped with sweet dried apricots, crunchy roasted cashew pieces and Gorgonzola cheese. If you are not familiar with Gorgonzola, while delicious, it has a pungent flavor and taste, so a little goes a long way.
Apricot walnut Gorgonzola grilled chicken salad recipe
Chicken breast is marinated in a sweet and tangy champagne vinegar, then grilled and served over fresh greens topped with dried apricots, walnuts and creamy Gorgonzola cheese.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 2 hours (minimum) | Cook time: 12 minutes | Total time: 2 hours 22 minutes
For the chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 sweet navel orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad
- 8 cups fresh, organic salad greens
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (optional)
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/4 cup toasted cashews
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Place the chicken breasts into a plastic zip-top bag. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade, and mix well.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken, and close the bag. Shake the bag to evenly coat the chicken, and place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Heat a grill pan to medium-high heat. Place the chicken breasts on the grill pan, and grill for about 6 minutes per side or until the centers of the chicken are no longer pink and the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, and allow it to cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Slice the chicken breasts into strips, and set aside.
- To arrange the salad, place all the organic greens into a large salad bowl, add the cooked quinoa, and toss well.
- Top the greens with the red onions, cucumber, dried apricots and cashews, and finish off with the Gorgonzola cheese.
- Finally, add the grilled chicken on top of the finished salad, drizzle your favorite salad dressing on top, and toss well. Divide among salad plates, and serve immediately.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.