Indonesian quinoa 'fried rice' is a healthy and flavorful dish
Use leftover quinoa instead of rice to make this delicious recipe for Indonesian mixed fried rice — nasi goreng.
There are so many kinds of fried rice options in Asia. Basically they are made from leftover rice and mixed with everyday condiments in the cupboard. With nasi goreng, it's simply rice with the flavorful paste you mix it with. Other ingredients, like shrimp and chicken, are optional, and it depends on how you want to eat the rice dish. It is Indonesia's best bet for a flavorful fried rice mix, at least to me, because it is one of my favorite rice dishes.
With some leftover quinoa in the fridge, I took a different approach and used it instead of rice. It gave the dish an earthier tone but without losing the flavors I love most about nasi goreng.
Quinoa nasi goreng recipe
Nasi goreng is a delicious Indonesian fried rice dish, and for a little change, I switched the rice with quinoa for a healthier option. The flavors remain, but the nutrients are boosted.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 chili, seeded
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons shrimp paste
- Olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined (optional)
- 1 cup leftover chicken, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon kecap manis or sweet soy sauce
- 4 eggs
- Using a mortar and pestle or a small food processor, mix together the chili, garlic, shallots, sugar and shrimp paste. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan with olive oil over medium heat, sauté the blended paste mixture.
- Add the shrimp, then cook until cooked through.
- Add the chicken and peas, and cook until cooked through.
- Add the quinoa, and mix well, about 7 minutes, then mix in the kecap manis. Mix for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, and cover to keep it warm.
- In a small saucepan with a little bit of oil over medium heat, fry the eggs.
- Top the quinoa nasi goreng with the eggs when serving.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.