We're not entirely sure who came up with the microwaveable mug recipe concept, but he or she is pretty much a hero in our book. Who knew you could throw a bunch of ingredients in a mug, zap it and get food that would actually be good?
You've probably given mug brownies a try by now, but there's actually a whole world of meal possibilities out there, too. From breakfast to dinner and everything in between, these mug recipes have you covered. The next time you're starving but just can't with the oven, give one of them a try.
1. Gluten-free bread in a mug recipe
Who has time for making homemade bread? Thanks to your microwave and mug, now you do!
2. 2-minute French toast in a cup recipe
Forget oatmeal — this French toast is just as quick and easy to make, but your morning will feel way more decadent.
3. Cinnamon roll in a mug recipe
Dense and gooey and pretty darn addicting, this cinnamon roll in a mug is exactly what you would expect from a breakfast confection fresh out of the oven microwave.
4. German pancakes in a mug recipe
Treat yourself to this light, fluffy blueberry pancake, and you'll be starting your morning right.
5. Vegan tofu scramble recipe
Mug breakfasts don't have to center on eggs. This vegan tofu scramble is a hearty morning meal for those abstaining from meat and dairy.
6. Coffee cup chilaquiles recipe
There's no need to drag yourself out of bed in search of the perfect hangover brunch. These chilaquiles will make it all better, and you won't even have to put on pants.
7. 5-minute spinach & cheddar microwave quiche in a mug recipe
For those times when you want to look real fancy without even trying, this super-easy microwaveable quiche for one will do the trick.
8. "Baked" oatmeal in a mug recipe
When the weather outside is frightful (or when the air conditioner is on too high), this hearty, healthy baked oatmeal in a mug will give you something worth waking up to.
Lunch or dinner
9. Bacon plus kale plus mushroom risotto recipe
Make it in a ramekin, make it in a mug — either way, this microwaved risotto will seriously satisfy.
10. Egg fried rice in a mug recipe
On afternoons when you have basically no time at all to prepare lunch, make egg fried rice in a mug.
11. Brown rice with edamame & pineapple recipe
Hola, vegetarians: This easy meal in a mug is just for you.
12. Microwave lasagna in a mug recipe
Lasagna doesn't have to be a laborious gut-bomb of a meal. Just a few minutes in a mug, and this version is yours.
A version of this article was originally published in March 2015.
13. Fettuccine Alfredo in a mug recipe
Who didn't grow up eating this creamy pasta? And now you can whip this up in just a few minutes.
14. Low-carb pizza muffin in a mug recipe
Easy, low-carb pizza? Heck yeah, thanks to My Montana Kitchen.
15. Microwave sausage & cheese spaghetti dinner recipe
We need to eat this ooey, gooey, cheesy spaghetti dinner, stat.
16. Roasted tomato soup with broiled cheddar recipe
If you want true comfort food to warm you on a particularly cool day, this tomato soup will do the trick.
17. The burrito mug recipe
Who needs Chipotle when you can toss all your burrito ingredients into a mug?
18. Spinach ricotta lasagna in a mug recipe
This fresh spinach ricotta lasagna is ready in just 15 minutes.
19. Spiced lentils with yogurt, almonds & mint recipe
This elegant vegetarian mug meal is full of protein thanks to lentils, yogurt and almonds.
20. Butter chicken pot pie with naan crust recipe
If you find yourself craving some chicken pot pie, then this mug recipe will hit the spot.
21. Cheese & broccoli rice bowl recipe
Sometimes, all you want is some cheesy broccoli rice in a mug.
22. Avocado macaroni & cheese in a mug recipe
You can never have too many mac and cheese recipes — and this one has avocado.
23. 2-minute cheddar bay biscuit in a mug recipe
It's not lunch or dinner, but any time of the day is a great time to have a cheddar bay biscuit — even better when you can make it in a mug.