I’m usually not one of those people who can do vegetables for breakfast, the only exception being an omelet if we’re eating out for breakfast (because I never make omelets at home unless it’s a breakfast-for-dinner kind of thing).
There’s just something about the thought of veggies first thing in the morning that makes me want to gag. Spinach? No thanks. Bring on the eggs, bacon, bread, potatoes, cereal, oatmeal — anything except something green.
But then I was met face to face with a portobello explosion in my fridge (four for $1 got the best of me at the grocery store), and the idea to stuff them for breakfast came to be.
Weirdly, I’m very much OK with this veggified breakfast. I think it’s the cheese and bacon doing their part to make me forget I’m eating spinach and mushrooms. Oh, and the runny egg. Runny eggs cure all.
Breakfast stuffed portobello mushrooms recipe
These spinach-, cheddar- and bacon-stuffed mushrooms are topped with a runny egg for a healthy breakfast or brunch.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 slices bacon
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and grease a baking sheet.
- Place the mushrooms on the baking sheet with the gills facing up. Drizzle with the olive oil, and bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the bacon into a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook until crispy. Chop, and set aside.
- Place the spinach into the skillet with the bacon grease, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until wilted. Transfer the spinach to a bowl, add the bacon, and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven, and drain any accumulated water in the caps.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the spinach-and-bacon mixture. Top with the grated cheddar, and place back in the oven for 3 minutes to melt the cheese.
- While the mushrooms finish in the oven, cook 2 eggs in the same skillet, sunny-side up.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven, and top each with an egg. Serve immediately.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.