Cream sauce made with roasted zucchini is a great way to incorporate veggies in a meal. And when served over pasta and topped with Kalamata olives, it makes for a hearty meatless meal.
What better way to make a cream sauce than to add roasted zucchini? Not only does the zucchini add a beautiful color to the sauce, but it adds texture too. I love how easy this dish is to make, not to mention how good the sauce tastes with the pasta and other goodies, like the olives and Parmesan cheese that come as a package deal with this meal.
To add to the heartiness of this meatless dish, I like to use gigli pasta. It’s such a pretty pasta when cooked and holds the sauce nicely with every bite.
For a bit of a crunch, I like to garnish the pasta with red bell pepper, which also gives this dish a pop of flavor, along with the vinegar taste of the Kalamata olives. One thing’s for sure, veggies never tasted as good as they do in this creamy pasta.
Roasted zucchini cream sauce with pasta recipe
Try this meatless and hearty pasta dish with a luscious cream sauce made with roasted zucchini and topped with red bell pepper and Kalamata olives.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 zucchini (medium size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for the roasted zucchini)
- 3 dashes salt (for the roasted zucchini)
- 4 dashes ground black pepper (for the roasted zucchini)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or salt to taste)
- 4 dashes ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 servings cooked gigli pasta
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese (for topping)
- 2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper (for topping)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives (for topping)
- 2 tablespoons shredded zucchini (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the zucchini into quarters lengthwise.
- Cut each quarter in half lengthwise.
- To a large bowl, add the zucchini, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix together so the oil, salt and pepper are evenly distributed over the zucchini.
- Lay the zucchini onto a cookie sheet, and bake until the bottom sides start to brown (about 30 minutes).
- To a blender, add the roasted zucchini, cream, milk, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Blend on the sauce setting.
- Heat a medium-size pot on low to medium heat, and add the zucchini mixture.
- Add the Parmesan cheese. Stir, and give it a quick taste test to see if more salt is needed.
- Let the zucchini cream sauce simmer until it thickens just a bit (about 10 minutes).
- Add the pasta to serving dishes, and top with the cream sauce, shredded Parmesan cheese, bell pepper and Kalamata olives.
- Garnish with shredded zucchini.
- Serve while hot.
For tons of great recipes, like our I <3 Comfort Food page on Facebook.