So you have some leftover frittata. Why not make an awesome bowl of hot soup?
When I first found out about frittata soup in Italy, I was curious. You can actually roll up the frittata and then slice it like you do fresh tagliatelle. Then you just drop them into simmering hot broth and add some basic veggies (or you can even go without).
You can make your own frittata like I did with the recipe I am sharing here — a basic one mixed with fresh parsley and spring onions — or you can also recycle your leftover frittata. Use whatever ingredients you have around for the frittata, as long as they go well with the soup.
As for the veggies I mixed with the broth, I just grabbed some I already had in my refrigerator. Like with the ingredients of the frittata, be free with the veggies too. The important thing is that it always comes out delicious.
Frittata soup recipe
Frittata can be recycled and used as a main ingredient in a simple hot soup. Just use good store-bought vegetable broth or homemade if you have some ready, and then add some vegetables. It’s as simple as that.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Over medium heat, bring the vegetable broth to a boil, and then add the carrots, 1/2 the spring onions and the peas. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, cook the frittata if you need to make them from scratch. (If you already have some frittata ready, then skip this part, and move to step 4.) In a bowl, whisk the eggs, and then add 1-1/2 tablespoons of parsley, 1/2 the spring onions, salt and pepper.
- Into a medium saucepan with a little extra virgin olive oil over low-medium heat, pour the egg mixture, and when one side is cooked, flip to cook the other side.
- Transfer the frittata to a plate, and then roll it. Slice the rolled frittata to make strips.
- Put the frittata strips into the warm soup, and then serve in soup bowls. Garnish with some parsley, and drizzle with some olive oil.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.