Creamy slow cooker chicken, rice and bacon soup will comfort you in winter
Warm soups are a must in my kitchen when winter stretches its cold arms outside. I like to tuck myself inside the house and just pass the cold days cooped up in the kitchen, warming it up with the heat of cooking and giving it an inviting smell of home. One of my favorite soups is chicken and rice, and when I want an added delicious flavor, I also toss in some toasted bacon. Sounds great, doesn't it? And with the help of the slow cooker, cooking is made much easier, with incredible results.
Most chicken and rice soups don't usually have ginger, but learning from Asian cooking, it is used to take away the strong chicken taste or, in fish dishes, the fishy taste that becomes unpleasant at times. A little piece is enough to do the trick so that it won't overpower the rest of the flavors in this dish. Just a gingery hint is enough to make the soup taste good.
Creamy slow cooker chicken, rice and bacon soup recipe
Put everything into the slow cooker, let it cook for hours, and then make your own cream for a delicious creamy soup highlighted with bacon.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 6 hours | Total time: 6 hours 20 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs, sliced into strips
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, roughly chopped
- 1 (1-inch) fresh ginger, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1 small sprig fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Pepper and salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 5 ounces bacon (diced)
- Place the chicken, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions, ginger, thyme and rice into the slow cooker, then pour in the chicken broth, and sprinkle with pepper. Set it on low for 6 hours.
- Before the soup is cooked, in a small saucepan, toast the bacon over low-medium heat. Set the bacon aside.
- In another small saucepan over low-medium heat, melt the butter, then add the flour, whisking continuously. Gradually add the milk while whisking until the mixture becomes thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the bacon and cream into the slow cooker as soon as it cooks.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.