It’s Mother’s Day — the one day a year when you get to sleep in and enjoy a lazy breakfast in bed. These simple but sweet pancakes are a perfect way to celebrate and are easy enough for the kids to make (with some fatherly supervision!).
Everyone loves pancakes, right? But when you make them with strawberries, a good lashing of syrup, a dollop of whipped cream and a generous pinch of love then you know they’re going to be good.
These sweet little strawberry heart pancakes are a perfect breakfast to serve this Mother’s Day. Whether you’re making them for your own mum or dropping hints for your kids, this recipe doesn’t call for any fancy equipment or skill. The end result? Beautifully light morsels that are designed to be savoured in bed, tucked up with a favourite blanket and a warm cup of tea.
Looking for more recipes to tempt mum? Try these fun family Mother’s Day recipes >>
Strawberry heart pancakes
- 1 cup of self-raising flour
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- 5–6 drops of pink food colouring
- Fresh strawberries (to serve)
- Maple syrup (to serve)
- Whipped cream or ice cream (to serve)
- Extra butter for greasing
- In a medium-sized bowl or jug, mix together the flour, buttermilk, egg and melted butter. Stir until all the lumps are gone.
- Add the food colouring a drop at a time until the mixture turns to a shade of pink you are happy with. Remember, as you cook the pancakes the colour will lighten slightly so go for a pink you can actually notice.
- Heat a teaspoon of butter in a small frypan over medium heat. Liberally grease a heart-shaped cookie cutter then spoon some mixture into the mould to create a heart. Once bubbles rise to the surface of the pancake, flip it over to cook the other side.
- If you don’t have a heart-shaped cookie cutter you can either use a knife to cut regular round pancakes into heart shapes or you can try your hand at drizzling the pancake mixture onto a hot pan in a heart shape. Both methods work but a cookie cutter will make things a whole lot easier!
- Once you have cooked a few pancakes, arrange them on a plate, drizzle with maple syrup and top with fresh strawberries and cream. Serve with a smile and a kiss to a mother you love.