Take advantage of fresh zucchinis that are coming into season this month and enjoy this easy recipe for dinner.
If you’re looking for a different way to enjoy vegetables, you can’t go past classic stuffed recipes that are filled with flavour.
This recipe offers tender zucchini, salty feta and warm minced lamb in every mouthful.
Lamb and feta stuffed zucchini
- 200 grams of lean minced lamb
- 1/2 a diced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes (drained but reserving the juice)
- 1/2 cube of beef stock
- 1/2 tablespoon of oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 4 medium-large zucchinis
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Another great autumn meal: Delicious chicken soup recipe >>
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Over a medium heat, brown the minced lamb and add the onion and garlic, cooking until translucent. Add the nutmeg and stir.
- Continue to add to the lamb mixture, starting with the drained tomatoes, crumbled stock cube and oregano. Add about half of the reserved tomato juice and stir. Add more liquid if it is looking a little dry.
- Remove from the heat and stir in most of the cooked rice (about 3/4 of the rice). Make sure it is combined well.
- Clean and dry the zucchinis. Slice in half lengthways to create “boats”. Using a melon baller or a small spoon scoop out the inside of the zucchinis, being sure to leave a good amount of flesh around the edges.
- Coat the zucchinis, inside and out with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place into a baking dish.
- Spoon the mince mixture into the zucchini boats and top with small cubes of feta cheese (you might prefer to push the cheese cubes right into the mince). Drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the edges of the zucchinis are tender. If you think the mixture is drying out during baking, lightly cover with aluminum foil. Serve while still hot.