No-one wants to be slaving over a hot stove in the middle of summer. With these simple recipes you won’t have to — in fact, you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in less than half an hour. Sound good?
SheKnows dishes up four recipes that are healthy, refreshing and ready in a flash. In other words, they are perfect for summer. What more could you ask for?
Chicken with rocket and peach salad
- 4 x 200-gram boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bunch of rocket (with the thick stems removed, this should amount to about four cups)
- 60 grams of blue cheese, roughly broken into pieces
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 3 peaches, cut into wedge pieces
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil (don’t worry, you didn’t read it wrong)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the grill to medium-high (depending on its power).
- Brush the chicken evenly with one teaspoon of the oil.
- Season the chicken with half a teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Toss the onions and peaches into a bowl. Add one tablespoon of oil and a quarter of a teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken for five to six minutes each side, or until it’s cooked all the way through.
- Grill the peaches for two minutes per side, stopping when they are charred.
- Grill the onions until tender.
- Toss the rocket into a bowl with the onions, peaches, vinegar and remaining oil.
- Add the cheese to create a bed of salad and serve with the chicken on top.
Grilled salmon with green salad
Craving something light and healthy? With just a few easy steps to follow, this tasty yet wholesome seafood dish can be on your plate in no time at all.
- 4 small salmon steaks
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened Greek yoghurt
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs/strips of celery, thinly sliced (if you’re a stickler for presentation, slice your greens diagonally)
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Whisk together the yoghurt, vinegar and a quarter of a teaspoon of salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the celery, cucumbers and parsley and toss to combine everything.
- Switch on the grill to medium-high heat.
- Give the salmon some flavour by seasoning it with half a teaspoon of salt and a quarter of a teaspoon of pepper.
- Grill the salmon for about five or six minutes each side, or until it’s pink and cooked through.
- Once the fish is done, serve it up with the green salad on the side.
Caprese pasta salad
This easy pasta dish is packed full of nutrients and ready in 20 minutes flat — and that’s including preparation time!
- 450 grams of pasta
- 700 grams of heirloom tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 200 grams of fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into pieces
- 1 cup of fresh basil, torn
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 2 tablespoons of high quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of pitted black olives, chopped
- Cook pasta as normal, following the directions on the package. After about nine or 10 minutes, drain excess water.
- Stir the tomatoes, olive oil, olives, capers and balsamic vinegar in a large bowl.
- Add pasta to the bowl and stir everything up until it’s combined.
- Fold in the mozzarella and basil.
- Serve while warm or, alternatively, cool the pasta in the fridge for a more refreshing dish.
Grilled turkey with vegetable salsa
If you’ve got a little more prep time up your sleeve, this simple turkey dish will be your mid-week lifesaver.
- 600 grams of turkey cutlets
- 700 grams of ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups of fresh corn kernels
- 3/4 cup of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and shopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (chop it finely so that one person doesn’t cop all the heat!)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- Lime wedges (to serve)
- Stir together the tomatoes, red pepper, cilantro, corn, jalapeno, lime juice and olive oil in a large bowl.
- Add half a teaspoon of salt to the mix.
- Cover and refrigerate the salsa for one hour.
- Turn on the grill to medium heat.
- Season the turkey using half a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Once that’s done, grill the turkey for two minutes per side (or until it’s cooked through).
- Wait for it to cool down to room temperature, then serve with the salsa and a few lime wedges.