Our special Aussie bond with Vegemite just got a little stronger… Yep, you can now enjoy Vegemite for breakfast, lunch, tea and dessert! Try out this delicious recipe for Vegemite cheesecake tonight!
Vegemite is an Aussie icon. With a history dating back almost 90 years, the black spread has a strong flavour that divides its audience into the lovers and the haters.
The Fred Walker Company (now Kraft Food Company) hired a young chemist in 1922, hoping he would invent a delicious spread based on one of the world’s richest natural sources of Vitamin B — brewer’s yeast. Originally called “Pure Vegetable Extract,” the company launched an Australian-wide competition to help name the product. Fred Walker’s young daughter chose the name Vegemite from hundreds of entries and the rest, as they say, is history.
These days, Vegemite is as popular as ever. It’s nutritious and can be incorporated into a range of different dishes and snacks, from Vegemite soldiers with boiled eggs to soups and stews. It contains no artificial colours or flavours, has no added sugar and is a rich source of Vitamin B. It also boasts thiamine, niacin and folate.
If you’re a Vegemite lover, we reckon you’re going to love this unusual cheesecake recipe. The sweet taste of the crust and filling blends beautifully with the taste of Vegemite. Try it and decide for yourself!
For the crust:
- 45 grams butter
- 85 grams shortbread biscuits
- ½ cup almond meal
For the filling:
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 600 grams cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon Vegemite
- To make the crust, melt the butter in the microwave or over a low heat on the stove. Process the biscuits in a food processor until they form large crumbs. Add the almond meal and butter, and process until the mixture has become fine crumbs. Add more butter if necessary.
- Grease a baking tin or ovenproof dish with butter and press the crumb mixture into the base to form a crust — whether you keep it on the base only or also up the sides is up to you. Place dish in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees C.
- Place the sugar, cream cheese, cream, lemon juice and vanilla in a bowl, and beat until smooth.
- Beating continuously, add the eggs one at a time.
- Heat the milk in the microwave or on the stove and stir in the Vegemite. Add this in to the filling mixture and stir.
- Pull the cheesecake crust from the fridge and pour in the filling.
- Bake in your preheated oven for one hour or until set.
- Remove from the oven, keep in the fridge and serve chilled.