Great summer mango recipes
Summer is all about tucking into beautifully fresh fruit and finding a million different ways to dress it up. Make the most of Australia's delicious mango season by giving these great recipes a try.
Mango and prawn salad
Mangoes and prawns may seem unlikely bedfellows, but once you've been introduced to this great pairing, you'll be addicted. This salad is the perfect summer dish for an outdoor setting. It makes an ideal lunch or will look fabulous on the dinner table.
Serving size 4
- Mixed lettuce mix
- 250 grams cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 large mangoes
- 20 or so cooked prawns
- 3 tablespoons mint
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Peel and slice the mangoes lengthways.
- Peel and devein the prawns, but leave the tails intact as this will look great in your salad.
- Throw the lettuce mix into your serving bowl.
- Layer with tomatoes, mango slices and prawns.
- To make the salad dressing, mix the mint, lime juice, chilli sauce and oil in a small bowl and stir well till combined.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
Grilled fruit is always a summer favourite and the perfect way to present the humble mango in a very different but attractive way. This makes for a great afternoon snack to tide the little ones over until dinner time or even a healthy summer dessert.
Serving size 2
- 2 small mangoes
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Cooking oil
- Yoghurt or ice-cream
- Cut the cheeks off the mangoes and run the blade of a knife down each to create a few marks that look like a hash symbol.
- Sprinkle the cut side of the mangoes with sugar.
- Heat a grill to medium heat, spray it with oil and cook the mangoes (with the cut side facing down) for a few minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with yoghurt or ice-cream and a dusting of cinnamon, or on its own as a snack.
Mangoes are naturally sweet so they make an ideal dessert ingredient. This recipe calls for a few delicious extras like whipped cream and sugar, to transform the humble fruit into a heavenly dessert. It looks great served in clear glasses so you can see the brilliant layers of bright yellow and white.
Serving size 4
- 3 cups cream
- 5-7 mangoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Whip the cream and chill in the fridge for a few hours.
- Peel and chop all of the mangoes into small pieces.
- Set a handful of the chopped mango aside for later and pop the remaining mango flesh into a food processor. Blend until it forms a smooth puree.
- Pour the puree into a large bowl and add the sugar and lime juice. Stir well to combine.
- Fold the cream into the puree mixture.
- Add the chopped mango flesh that you set aside in step three and stir gently to achieve a marbled apearance.
- Spoon the fool mixture into clear glasses and serve immediately.