Instead of the standard beer or wine, why not indulge in one of these crisp, refreshing summer cocktails this summer? The Mojito is a refreshing minty choice that will help you wind down after a long day at work, while the Broken Lawn Mower is a spicy, flavourful cocktail that provides a real kick. Whip these cocktails out at your next party and they’ll surely be a hit!
The Classic Mojito
The minty Mojito is a refreshing, crisp cocktail that is perfectly suited to a lazy afternoon party or summer BBQ.
In this video, hosted by Bahama Breeze Senior Development Chef Peter Olsacher, you too can learn how to make the perfect Mojito.
- 3 lime wedges
- 4-6 mint sprigs
- Simple syrup
- Crushed iced
- Splash of soda
- Sugar cane for garnish
In the video, Chef Olsacher uses Garapo, which is the juice of sugar cane. They use Garapo at Bahama Breeze restaurants, however at home you can substitute with simple syrup.
Broken Lawn Mower
The Broken Lawn Mower is a great cocktail for the guys; with such a manly name, how can they resist?! “The Broken Lawn Mower is best served with loads of ice and a spicy pickled hot pepper for that extra kick,” says mixologist Tad Carducci, who created this cocktail. “I recommend enjoying a Broken Lawn Mower outside in the backyard over a great conversation with your dad.”
- 50ml vodka
- 80ml chilled beef bouillon
- 2 dashes worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes tabasco sauce
- 50ml fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Spicy salt (comprised of equal parts coarse salt, black pepper, chilli powder and lime zest)
- Moisten rim of highball glass with lime.
- Roll the outer lip in a saucer filled with the spicy salt mixture.
- Shake all of the ingredients together thoroughly in a cocktail mixer.
- Strain the liquid over ice in a pre-rimmed highball glass.
- Garnish with a wedge of lime.
How to make a mouth-watering watermelon margarita
How to throw a sizzling summer cocktail party
AFL day cocktail recipes