Ring in the New Year with a scrumptious easy-to-fix feast among family and friends. Coffee crusted beef tenderloin is an impressive dish that will sate your guests’ appetite for good food while giving them an extra kick of energy to revel through the night. A groan-worthy hot fruit parcel drizzled with cream is a delectable finale to your festive New Year’s Eve meal.
Coffee Crusted Beef Tenderloin
4 (175 grams each) beef tenderloin steaks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
20 grams freshly ground dark roast coffee
100 milliliters macadamia nut oil
1. Season both sides of the steaks with a little salt and pepper.
2. In a shallow baking dish that can hold the steaks in one layer, whisk together ground coffee and oil. Place steaks in dish, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 180 degrees F. Heat an oven-proof grill pan over medium high heat. Sear steaks in the grill pan on both sides.
4. Place grill pan in the oven and cook steaks until desired doneness. Transfer to a serving platter and allow steak to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving suggestions for side dishes
A thick, juicy steak crusted with a heady coffee flavor will pair well with the following side dishes:
- Green Tomato Orange Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- Buttery Garlic Bread
- Grilled Zucchini
- Spicy Couscous with Dried Fruit
- Baked Potatoes with all the toppings
Australian New Year dessert
Celebrate the New Year with a warm parcel plump with sweet, chewy fruit.
Dried Fruit Parcels
100 grams dried apricots
100 grams fresh figs, trimmed, halved
100 grams dried cranberries
100 grams dried plums
Juice of 2 oranges
Zest of 1 orange
30 milliliters cream sherry
Superfine sugar to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. and cut four large square pieces of parchment paper. Toss fruit and divide it evenly among the parchment squares.
3. For each parcel, gather the edges of a parchment square and tie with twine. Place parcels on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until fruit is tender and hot. Serve parcels on a dessert plate. Drizzle fruit with cream.