Risotto, broccoli and manchego cheese for boss single women
Enjoy truffle risotto with roasted broccoli and manchego cheese as part of our three-course Valentine's Day dinner for unapologetically awesome single women.
Don't worry, you won't have to stand there stirring for an hour to get this creamy goodness. This adapted recipe from Martha Stewart... what can I say, I am biased... is made in the oven. Pop that baby in, turn your Netflix on, pour yourself some wine or Champagne or both, and 30 minutes later, stir and enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes?
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine, (optional)
- 2/3 – 3/4 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons homemade or low sodium canned chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, (optional)
- A drizzle of truffle oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In an ovenproof saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring until translucent, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring to coat the grains with oil, for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the wine and cook until it has completely evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Stir in 1-1/2 cups water, the stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, transfer to the oven and bake, until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Stir in 1/2 to 3/4 cup water - the consistency of the risotto should be creamy. Also stir in the butter, cheese, and parsley. Top with truffle oil. Serve immediately.
Roasted broccoli and manchego cheese
This single-serving dish is also adapted from a recipe by Martha Stewart.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes?
- 1/2 large head broccoli (about 1/5 pound total)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1/4 lemon)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons manchego cheese, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Trim 1 inch from end of broccoli stalks. Cut off florets, and separate into large pieces. Using a vegetable peeler or paring knife, peel the outer layer of stalks; thinly slice crosswise.
- Place broccoli (both stalks and florets), garlic, oil and red-pepper flakes on a large-rimmed baking sheet; season with salt.
- Roast until broccoli is crisp-tender and beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle broccoli with lemon juice; toss to coat. Serve topped with manchego.
Also on the menu
- Cornish game hen for boss single women (and other hungry people)
- 10-minute microwave brownie (because who wants to spend the whole night cooking?)