Hearty soup is ideal for the winter, but the vibrant color that asparagus brings to this chowder will make you forget your winter woes. Spring doesn’t seem so far away now, does it?
Nothing beats a hearty chowder in the cold winter months. This soup is easy to make and goes well with crusty bread and a big salad. This Meatless Monday recipe brings a bunch of fun colors to the table too. The green asparagus is a reminder that the snow won’t last forever, and the carrot curl garnish does double duty serving as a pretty garnish you can dunk into the chowder too.
Leftovers? Take this soup to work for lunch the next day. You’ll want to make it last and enjoy it more than once.
Cheesy asparagus chowder with carrot curl garnish recipe
This soup is rich, hearty and cheesy, and the asparagus gives it both great flavor and vibrant color. You could even add another veggie like corn to the mix if you like. Toss it in just prior to the asparagus.
Prep time: 12 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 42 minutes
- 1 pound thin asparagus, steamed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 large carrots, peeled and ends trimmed, 1 diced, 1 reserved
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- Use a spiral peeler to create long curls from the reserved carrot. Set aside for garnish.
- To a large stockpot over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter. When the butter has melted and the mixture is hot, add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the flour to the mixture, and whisk for about 30 seconds. Add the vegetable broth, milk, potato, salt, black pepper and sage. Mix to combine, reduce the heat to simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the potato is soft.
- Add the sour cream, and stir to combine. Add the asparagus to the mixture, and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and add the cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese melts and is incorporated into the mixture. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve hot in individual bowls with the carrot curls as garnish.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.