Asian-style cabbage rolls are perfect for dinner tonight
Stuffed cabbage rolls are so easy to love, because you can stuff them with anything you want. This time, it's soy-honey chicken and rice.
Asian flavors will always be in my heart. They are what I grew up with and where a lot of my memories come from. Soy sauce, ginger and honey are the classic ones that shout Asian cuisine, and that is what I stuffed these cabbage rolls with. A simple combination of chicken and rice flavored with these three condiments make up a really tasty and enjoyable Asian dinner in a different way.
Because they are chicken and rice, you won't have problems with the kids not eating them. Both ingredients are very popular with kids and adults alike, so these rolls would be perfect for the whole family. You can also make them ahead of time and just pop them into the oven before dinner. Half an hour, and you will have a complete Asian dinner on your table.
Cabbage rolls with soy-honey chicken and rice recipe
Stuffing these cabbage rolls with chicken and rice flavored with soy and honey gives an incredible flavor reminiscent of Asia.
Prep time: 1 hour 15 minutes | Bake time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, halved
- 1 small head (12 leaves) cabbage, leaves separated and hard part sliced thin (savoy cabbage cooks longer than white cabbage)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 baby corn
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Soy-honey sauce (recipe below)
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, honey, lemon and a dash of pepper.
- In a medium bowl, marinate the chicken with 1/3 of the soy sauce mixture.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the cabbage leaves for 4 minutes (white cabbage) to 8 minutes (savoy cabbage), depending on the thickness of the leaves. Drop them into a bowl of ice water immediately to stop the cooking. Drain well to dry.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat with extra-virgin olive oil, brown both sides of the chicken. When it has turned golden brown, set the chicken aside on a plate, and discard the oil and sediments. Quickly wipe them away with paper towels.
- Into the same saucepan over medium heat, pour some new oil. Sauté the garlic until almost golden, about 1 minute, then put the chicken back into the saucepan. Add the baby corn, and toss together for 3 minutes. Add the rice and 1/2 the remaining soy sauce mixture. Mix well.
- Prepare the rolls by placing a cabbage leaf on a plate, then place a piece of chicken, some corn and some rice at the center. Roll to close. Use another cabbage leaf to make sure none of the filling comes out. Secure with a food string. Repeat the process with the rest of the cabbage.
- Place the cabbage rolls into a baking dish, and then spoon 1/2 the remaining soy sauce mixture on top of all of them. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes of baking, pour the remaining soy sauce mixture.
- While baking, prepare the soy-honey sauce below.
- Serve the cabbage rolls with the sauce.
Soy-honey sauce recipe
Yields 1/3 cup
Total time: 6 minutes
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the soy sauce, lemon, honey, water, sesame seeds and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, and then add the flour. Cook until thick, about 1 minute.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.