Serve these as an appetizer when friends come calling or as an easy and fun alternative to standard bread rolls to serve with soup or salad. These pull-apart rolls are stuffed with broccoli, gooey cheddar and bits of bacon for fab flavor.
I combined a homemade cheese sauce with the convenience of prepackaged biscuits to turn this recipe into something special for mealtime (or snack time). If you’d like to make your own dough, go for it, but if you’re a little short on time, pick this version.
These rolls are fun to serve as an appetizer, snack or simply as a side to a big, green salad or bowl of soup. I ended up with seven rolls in my baking dish for a tight fit and added the last roll to a small pan by itself.
You can easily double up this recipe to serve more people. I think you’ll love the flavors all melted together into these flaky rolls.
Chessy cheddar, broccoli and bacon pull-apart rolls recipe
These rolls might become a favorite at your house. The flavor combo of cheddar, broccoli and bacon couldn’t be more perfect, and what’s not to love about an easy-to-make appetizer or roll?
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 (8 count) container prepared biscuit rolls
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour, plus extra to dust the work surface
- 1/4 cup milk, more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon melted butter
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Add the broccoli florets to a microwave-safe bowl, and heat on high for 2 minutes. Remove, and allow to cool to the touch. Chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray an 8-inch round baking dish with the nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- Dust a flat work surface with the flour. Open the biscuits, and roll each flat to 2-1/2 to 3 inches in diameter. Set aside.
- To a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter is melted and hot, add the flour, and whisk constantly until combined and it begins to thicken, about a minute or so.
- Add the milk to the mixture, whisking until combined. The mixture will be slightly thick. Add the black pepper, and mix.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the cheese. Before stirring, add the lemon juice over the cheese. Stir the cheese into the mixture until melted.
- If you’d like a thinner sauce, add a bit more milk (1 tablespoon), and whisk to combine.
- Fold the broccoli into the mixture as well as almost all the bacon crumbles, reserving a few pieces for the tops of the rolls.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the mixture to the center of each biscuit round. Fold the edges into the center, and crimp with your fingers. Do this with each round, and place them in the baking dish so they are close but not touching.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with the melted butter, and bake for 15 minutes. When there are 2 minutes left to bake, remove, and sprinkle the remaining bacon crumbles over the tops of the rolls. Place them back into the oven until done.
- Remove, and allow the rolls to cool slightly. Serve immediately.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.