Slow Cooker Sunday: Chicken and sausage cassoulet
Enjoy a hearty French-style meal that is part soup, part stew, all delicious. No special cooking skills required.
Cassoulet is a French dish that typically includes beans and meats like duck and pork. I've made this meal a bit more approachable by using chicken and sausage, and I added a favorite veggie — zucchini — for even more heartiness.
I used a mild sausage for this dish, but you could use a spicy version too. I also included zucchini in the mix, but mushrooms or parsnips might be a good addition too. Serve this with crusty bread and a nice glass of wine for a fabulous meal.
Slow cooker chicken and sausage cassoulet recipe
This is a hearty dish to serve and perfect on a cold night. Add your favorite seasonal vegetables to the mix. You can sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese on top before serving, if you like.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 4-6 hours | Total time: 4 hours 15 minutes to 6 hours 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound mildly seasoned sausage link, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 green zucchini, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can cannellini beans, undrained
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, torn (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to season
- To a skillet over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, and cook for about 3 minutes or until it begins to soften.
- Add the chicken and sausage, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until browned. Add the tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of water and the black pepper to the skillet. Toss to combine, and cook for another minute or so.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker. Add the carrot, celery, zucchini, garlic and beans over the mixture.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, and top with the parsley and thyme.
- Cook on low heat for 4 to 6 hours.
- Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with the fresh parsley.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More slow cooker recipes