I think we all enjoy a good ham and cheese sandwich from time to time. But after running out of bread when my son asked for his favorite lunch, I panicked, until I saw I had a fresh ball of pizza dough hiding in the fridge.
The light inside my head went off, and before I knew it, I was pulling out a fresh batch of ham and cheese rolls for myself… I mean, for my son. These were far better than any cold sandwich, as the outsides were flaky, and the insides were warm and oozing with melted Swiss cheese.
If you aren’t a fan of ham, then use any type of lunch meat desired. I really like to use organic or nitrate-free lunch meats as well as organic cheese. If you have the time, make your own dough so you know exactly what has gone into it. Otherwise just look for fresh dough at your grocery store. You can make these ahead of time, and while they can definitely be served cold, enjoying them warm is undeniably delicious.
Baked ham and Swiss cheese rolls recipe
Pizza dough is rolled out and filled with all-natural Black Forest ham and creamy Swiss cheese, then baked golden and sliced into rounds. Tip: These can be made ahead of time and enjoyed chilled, making them great options for lunchboxes.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ball fresh pizza dough (or store-bought pizza dough)
- 1 (7 ounce) package uncured Black Forest ham (I used Applegate Farms brand)
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Spread the softened cream cheese evenly over the dough, sprinkle with garlic salt, and then season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the ham in a single layer on the cream cheese, followed by the Swiss cheese slices.
- Gently roll the dough as tightly as possibly (as if you were making cinnamon rolls), and place the roll onto the baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, and remove from the oven.
- Slice the roll into 6 slices, and serve warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.