Mexican hot chocolate in liquid form is incredibly sinful. But we’ve made it into a cookie that you won’t be able to keep your hands off.
Make sure you choose quality chocolate rather than generic. The higher quality will be reflected in the end result: the most sumptuous Mexican hot chocolate cookie you have ever tasted. The rich cocoa flavours dance merrily along with delicate hints of spice. This is definitely no ordinarily milk chocolate chip cookie.
Mexican hot chocolate cookies
Serving size 24
- 113 grams unsalted butter
- 115 grams dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 220 grams light brown sugar
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 128 grams plain flour
- 64 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 150 grams dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C/Gas Mark 3.
- As the oven warms up, set up a bain-marie by placing a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Ensure that the bowl is not touching the water.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the bowl until the combination is glossy and smooth. Remove it from the heat and allow the chocolate and butter mixture to cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, beat the sugars, vanilla extract and eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add the cooled chocolate into the mixture.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, spices, bicarbonate of soda, salt and pepper.) Whisk these together until they are completely blended.
- Fold the dry mixture into the chocolate mixture gradually until they are just combined. Be careful not to over mix. Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using tablespoons, scoop approximately 24 balls out of the mixture and place them 1-1/2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies on the centre rack of the oven for approximately 12 to 14 minutes. They will slightly flatten and puff up but will still remain fairly soft when they are removed from the oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before serving.