Slow cooker green chili chicken tortilla soup gets dinner done in no time
It's time you had the night off from cooking but at the same time enjoyed a home-cooked meal made right in your very own kitchen.
Let the slow cooker be your personal chef for dinner so you can have more time to let your feet rest in fuzzy slippers and relax. This soup is chock-full of goodies like tender shredded chicken, fresh green chilies and veggies. But wait! There's more.
There are more goodies served on top of the soup, like sour cream, fresh cilantro, tomatoes and even crumbled Cotija cheese if you like. But wait! There's even more.
There are corn tortillas inside and on top of the soup. I like the ones that are inside the soup, because they're small pieces of soft corn tortillas that absorb the broth and taste so good with all the flavors going on. Then there are the crispy ones on top that are a fun, crunchy surprise. So give this soup a try, and put on those fuzzy slippers.
Slow cooker green chili and shredded chicken tortilla soup recipe
Dinner doesn't get much better than green chili and shredded chicken tortilla soup made in a slow cooker and topped with sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro and Cotija cheese.
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- 2 green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 large bone-in chicken breasts, skins removed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 large garlic cloves, diced
- 2 dashes ground cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (add 1/2 teaspoon at a time, and salt to taste)
- 2 corn tortillas, sliced into small pieces (for the soup)
- 3 dollops sour cream, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped tomatoes, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons crumbled Cotija cheese, for garnish (optional)
- 9 tortilla chips, broken into large pieces, for garnish
- Heat a medium-size skillet on medium heat, and add the olive oil.
- Add the green chilies, and sauté until they start to turn dark around the edges.
- To a large slow cooker, add the cooked green chilies, chicken broth, water, chicken, onion, tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, carrots, celery, garlic, cumin, oregano, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Set the slow cooker on the 4-hour setting.
- After 4 hours, transfer the chicken from the slow cooker to a plate. Remove the bones, and discard them. Shred the chicken, and add it back to the slow cooker.
- Taste the soup, and add more salt, to taste.
- Put the pieces of corn tortillas at the bottoms of the serving bowls, and add the soup along with the chicken.
- Serve hot, and garnish with sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro, Cotija cheese (optional) and tortilla chips.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.