In one, single pot, you’ve got everything you need for breakfast or dinner: meat, vegetables, grains and eggs.
I am used to big, savory breakfasts, with mixed fried rice, vegetables, eggs and meat. I like to fill up first thing in the morning, because after all, isn’t there a saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? But nowadays, sitting down to a relaxing meal in the morning is almost impossible with the rush to get ready for the day. So I reserve the full-meal, savory breakfasts for dinner, when everyone is more relaxed and has more time to taste what is on the table.
I used leftover cooked barley, so if you have some in the refrigerator, then toss it in the pan with some pancetta or bacon and zucchini. You will be glad you did, because it comes out really good. The lemon-garlic sauce enhances the flavor of the chicken tenfold and, I have to say, is my favorite part of the meal. For the eggs, a little mixing up with the basic onions and tomatoes goes a long way too. This one-pot meal doesn’t lack in flavor.
One-pot lemon-garlic chicken with fried barley and scrambled eggs recipe
When you have some leftover barley and need a complete meal to cook in just one pot, then this is the recipe you are looking for. You have chicken, vegetables, grains and eggs all in one filling meal.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 (4 ounce) chicken fillets
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pancetta or bacon, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups cooked barley
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked with a fork
- Coat the chicken fillets with salt, pepper and breadcrumbs, and then set them aside.
- In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat, melt the butter along with about 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Sauté the garlic for about a minute or less, until the garlic turns almost golden, and then add the lemon and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cook for another minute, adjust the taste if needed, then transfer the sauce to a small bowl.
- Into the same saucepan, pour more olive oil. Over medium heat, brown both sides of the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a plate, and cover to keep it warm. Discard the oil from the saucepan, then wipe it with a paper towel.
- Into the same saucepan, pour a little bit more olive oil. Over medium heat, toast the pancetta and zucchini. When they are toasted, add the barley and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, then mix well. Push them to one side of the saucepan.
- At the other side of the saucepan, sauté the onions and tomatoes (save some for garnish) for 1 minute, and then add the eggs gradually, being careful to not let them touch the barley by pushing them away with a wooden spoon.
- Put the chicken back into the saucepan, and then pour the lemon-garlic sauce on top.
- Serve while hot.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.