Girl Scout cookie-inspired "Thin Mint" energy bites make snacking healthier
I was never a Samoa girl. I know they are the favorite when it comes to Girl Scout cookies, but something about the simplicity of the Thin Mint always won out for me.
Not to mention they're amazing frozen, and you could easily eat through a whole sleeve without nearly the same amount of guilt as any of the other cookies. At least that's what my brain told me, since they're practically paper thin.
Without the metabolism of my childhood self, though, eating a sleeve of cookies is a bit less practical these days, which is why a healthier intervention needed to happen, because not indulging in my favorite Girl Scout cookie flavor isn't an option.
These "Thin Mint" energy bites are made with all-whole, real food ingredients that are much healthier for you, but still have that classic chocolate-and-mint combination going on.
Girl Scout cookie-inspired "Thin Mint" energy bites recipe
It's Girl Scout cookie season, but why not indulge in the classic Thin Mint in a healthier way with these energy bites? All the chocolate-and-mint flavor of the cookie in a much-healthier-for-you bite.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Inactive time: 15 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- 8 medjool dates, halved and pitted
- 3-1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil (or 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract)
- Pinch kosher salt
- Place the oats and cashews into a food processor, and process until fine.
- Add the dates, and process again until finely chopped.
- Add the cocoa powder, milk, essential oil or extract and the salt, and process until everything comes together and starts to form a ball of dough.
- Transfer to a bowl, and roll into small balls. Place the balls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, and refrigerate for 15 minutes to let them set.
- Remove from the refrigerator, and press down with the tines of a fork.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.