Pizza muffins transform your favorite meal into a savory snack
In Italy, everyone shares a big love for one pizza flavor: the Margherita. It is one of the simplest, healthiest and most delicious combinations you can get. Did I just say healthy?
Yes, because basically the ingredients of Margherita are just tomatoes, basil, mozzarella and extra-virgin olive oil.
To change things up with everyone's favorite pizza, I combined these ingredients with a muffin base. These flavorful bites are great to eat whatever time of the day, and in my own home, we like having them for Sunday brunch or afternoon snacks.
Pizza Margherita muffins recipe
Pizza Margherita is one of the simplest yet most popular flavors of pizza, and for a little bit of fun, why not eat it as muffins? In this recipe, the basic flavors don't change; just the base is transformed into savory muffins.
Prep time: 25 minutes | Bake time: 25 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce (or marinara sauce)
- 1 (3.5 ounce) mozzarella ball
- Fresh basil leaves (or parsley if not available)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and grease the muffin molds.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon of dried basil, salt and sugar. Add the water, egg and 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil. Mix well until well combined. Add a little bit of water if it seems too dry.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts, and then lightly spread each so you can put 1 teaspoon of tomato sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of Parmesan cheese at the center. Close the dough with the closed part on top, and then transfer them to the muffin molds.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Take them out, and distribute the remaining tomato sauce, dried basil, fresh basil, mozzarella and olive oil.
- Put the muffins back into the oven, and bake for another 5 minutes.
For tons of great recipes, like our I <3 Comfort Food<></3>> page on Facebook.