This entree is part of our three-course Valentine’s Day dinner for unapologetically awesome single women. Go on, treat yourself.
Prep time: 20 minutes* | Cook time: 45 minutes | Total time: 65 minutes?
*Cornish game hens are not common enough for grocery stores to have them fresh unless ordered. So defrost in the fridge overnight and you can marinate them at the same time.
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 lemon wedge, 1/8th of a whole lemon
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (1/2 pound) Cornish game hen
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Place parsley, rosemary, thyme, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper in a food processor. Blend until finely chopped. With machine running, add olive oil.
- Loosen skin from the hen. Put 1 tablespoon of herb mixture under skin of the hen, smoothing to cover breasts. Place the bird on a large-rimmed baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove hen from refrigerator and bring to room temperature (about 1 hour). Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place hen on a clean rimmed baking sheet. Brush butter over surface of hen and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast in oven, rotating pan once until golden brown and cooked through (meat thermometer should read 165 degrees F when placed in the thigh), about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand at least 15 minutes before placing on individual plate. No carving necessary!
Also on the menu
- Creamy truffle risotto, roasted broccoli and manchego cheese
- 5-minute microwave brownie (because who wants to spend the whole night cooking?)