Healthy chicken meatballs over mashed cauliflower will fool everyone
Getting kids or picky eaters to have a healthy, filling dinner can be quite a challenge... until now.
These homemade meatballs are made from ground chicken breast and are tossed in a sweet and spicy pineapple-based sauce the whole family will love. And while I love mashed potatoes, let's face it: As good as they are, they aren't the healthiest thing for dinner. Now you can easily fool everyone by steaming cauliflower and mashing it just like mashed potatoes. This is a wonderfully sneaky way to get those veggies in. I also added some fresh steamed broccoli on the side, sprinkled with a bit of sea salt.
Homemade pineapple chicken meatballs with mashed cauliflower recipe
These healthy, homemade, pineapple-glazed meatballs are served over mashed cauliflower seasoned with roasted garlic and red pepper flakes, along with fresh steamed broccoli. These meatballs freeze great if you want to make a big batch to have on hand for busy nights.
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
For the pineapple chicken meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 whole egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the pineapple sauce
- 1 cup pineapple apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
For the mashed cauliflower
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the meatballs, and mix very well.
- Form the mixture into the desired shape of meatballs, and place them on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake the meatballs for 25 minutes or until the juices run clear and the centers are cooked completely.
- Meanwhile, to a large pot, add the chopped cauliflower and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, mash the cauliflower until smooth. Fold in the cream cheese, butter, garlic and seasonings, and mix well. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- To a pan over medium-low heat, add all the ingredients for the pineapple sauce, and mix well.
- Bring the sauce to a light simmer, and reduce the heat to low. Add the cooked meatballs to the pot, and gently toss to coat the meatballs.
- Divide the mashed cauliflower and meatballs among dinner plates, and serve warm alongside fresh steamed broccoli or any other green vegetable.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.