Meatless Monday: Creamy skillet Swiss chard and chickpeas
This dish has things covered on a Meatless Monday. Hearty and green Swiss chard combines perfectly with chickpeas and a creamy sauce (oh, but don't forget the crunchy topping) for a side dish or lighter main dish.
When I think of creamy dishes, I feel like my scale automatically jumps up a pound or two. I usually can't help myself when it comes to these types of dishes — they're so indulgent and delicious.
No need for guilt with this Meatless Monday recipe. Healthy and green Swiss chard is tossed together with hearty chickpeas in a cream-based sauce made simply from milk and a touch of flour. But this vegetarian dish is a delight from top to bottom. You'll dig in past the crunchy and golden seasoned breadcrumbs to the creamy center.
Creamy skillet Swiss chard and chickpeas with crunchy breadcrumbs recipe
This dish brings creamy and crunchy to your plate. It's the perfect meatless side dish or main dish for a light meal. Use panko for even more of a crispy effect on top.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10-12 minutes | Total time: 20-22 minutes
- 1 large bunch Swiss chard, leaves torn into 3-inch pieces, stems diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra to season the breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus extra to season the breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with a bit of salt, black pepper and Parmesan cheese. Mix and set aside.
- To a skillet over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter is melted and hot, add the onions, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add the garlic, and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour to the skillet, and whisk, cooking for about a minute. Add the milk, continue to whisk, and increase the heat to medium-high.
- Allow the mixture to boil lightly, then add the Swiss chard. Toss to combine, and reduce the heat back to medium.
- Add the salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, and cook for 2 minutes or so.
- Add the chickpeas, toss to combine, and cook until heated through.
- Remove from the heat, and sprinkle over the top with the breadcrumb mixture. Place under a broiler until browned (30 to 45 seconds), but keep a close watch so it doesn't burn.
- Remove from the heat, and serve warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.