Copycat Chipotle slow cooker barbacoa beef tacos (VIDEO)
If you've ever sunk your teeth into Chipotle's barbacoa beef, odds are you'll want to re-create it at home. It's flavorful, oh-so-tender and — good news — super easy to make. With the help of a slow cooker, you're on your way to a ridiculously good filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas... Really, you'll probably just end up eating it out of the slow cooker with a fork. That's OK too.
Slow cooker barbacoa beef tacos recipe
- 1 green chili, roasted and chopped (Hatch or similar)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 chipotle chilies in adobo, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds chuck roast
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 quart low-sodium beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Warm tortillas, onion, cilantro, salsa and lime, for serving
- In a saucepan on medium heat, combine the chopped green chili, cumin, ground cloves, oregano, chipotle chilies in adobo, apple cider vinegar and fish sauce.
- Add olive oil to a pan, and bring to medium heat. Sear each side of the chuck roast.
- Place the roast into a slow cooker on low.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in same pan until brown. Add them to the saucepan with the other ingredients.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, puree the ingredients in the saucepan.
- Pour the beef broth over the roast in the slow cooker. Add salt and pepper to taste and then the bay leaf. Add the pureed sauce.
- Cook for 3-1/2 hours.
- For the last half-hour, crack the lid so the extra liquid cooks off.
- Remove the bay leaf. Serve with tortillas and garnish for tacos.