This is an easy meal that’s fit for a queen. Literally.
This traditional English chicken salad recipe was made to honor Queen Elizabeth II’s crowning back in the day. Even though my version is a little different from many traditional versions (and there really are many), the basics are the same.
I folded sweet apricot jam, tangy curry, parsley and crunchy toasted almonds into a mayonnaise base for this version. I left out the raisins, but feel free to include them if you try it.
Coronation chicken salad with toasted almonds recipe
This chicken salad will be the crowning glory at mealtime. Tradition calls for raisins or currants to be used in this spectacular salad, but you could try swapping them out for grapes or even dried cranberries instead. To save a good deal of prep time, use leftover or rotisserie chicken.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Inactive time: 15 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 (4-6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or just a bit less)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (or you could use milk)
- 1-2 tablespoons apricot jam (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra to season the chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon dried black pepper, plus extra to season the chicken
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Bread or salad greens, to serve with the salad
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking dish with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and place them in the baking dish. Cover with foil.
- When the oven is hot, bake for about 30 minutes, removing the foil for the last 10 minutes, until the chicken is done. The FDA notes a safe internal temperature for chicken, as measured by a meat thermometer, is 165 degrees F.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter, and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes. When cool to the touch, cut the chicken into cubes, and refrigerate for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, cream or milk, jam, lemon juice, ginger, curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Fold in the parsley and almonds.
- When the chicken has cooled, fold it into the mayonnaise mixture, and combine thoroughly.
- Serve with sandwich bread or salad greens.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More chicken recipes
Spaghetti squash with grilled chicken, roasted tomatoes and Parmesan
Spicy skillet chicken spaghetti
Ranch chicken and bacon wraps
Leave a Comment