29 Recipes to make before January is over
The holidays are over, and we're all eating lots of kale and other leafy greens that make us feel better about all the cookies we ate in December, right? Wrong. I don't know about you, but it's cold, and I'm still craving hearty, belly-warming comfort food, diets be damned.
If you're feeling like me, then these are the recipes you should definitely think about making before January is over. Some of them even include some kale to go with all that cheesy, carby goodness. You know... to keep you on track with your resolutions.
1. Wheat berry oatmeal with caramelized bananas recipe
Though I'm not normally a big fan of oatmeal's mushy texture, this wheat berry version offers a bit more bite. Plus, bonus points for caramelized bananas.
2. Mini peanut butter and jelly pancake stacks recipe
Tiny pancakes infused with the very best childhood flavor combo = most amazing breakfast ever.
3. Gluten-free creamy cinnamon quinoa and acorn squash breakfast bowl recipe
Quinoa has made its way into every meal of the day, and this breakfast bowl looks like the perfect blend of savory and sweet.
4. Homemade spiked gingerbread caramel latte recipe
What? You don't spike your morning latte? OK, fine. Make it without the booze for breakfast. But I'm telling you... you're missing out.
5. Vegan vanilla agave cashew milk hot chocolate recipe
A booze-free alternative to the above beverage. Also, completely vegan.
Snacks and lunch
6. Homemade maple-toasted pumpkin seed butter recipe
Once you see how easy homemade nut butter is, you'll never buy the expensive store-bought jars again.
7. Tahini-free edamame hummus recipe
Having a sesame allergy is no fun, but this tahini-free edamame hummus will make you feel better.
8. Spicy Italian stuffed bread recipe
It's like a hasselback potato, but with bread. So obviously it's better.
9. Mini kielbasa-jalapeño cornbread muffins recipe
Great for a game day crowd or for a day when you want to inhale all the spicy mini muffins yourself.
10. Easy chicken enchilada pinwheels recipe
It doesn't seem like pinwheels get the love they once did. Time to bring back this classic snack.
11. Grilled cheese sandwiches with roasted red peppers, arugula and fried egg recipe
#Putaneggonit, and these open-faced cheesy sandwiches go from good to great.
12. Lentil and veggie sloppy Joes recipe
They're still sloppy, but they're meatless.
13. Gluten-free grilled havarti sandwiches with cauliflower "bread" recipe
Sneak some cauliflower onto the menu by disguising it as a gooey grilled cheese.
Soups and stews
14. Spicy sharp cheddar beer cheese soup recipe
It's soup. Made of cheese. And beer. You're welcome.
15. Carrot, parsnip and potato chowder with Parmesan crisps recipe
I know it's wrong that I want to make this just for the Parmesan crisps, but can you blame me?
16. Slow cooker cauliflower and roasted red pepper bisque recipe
It doesn't get much easier than this vegetable-packed slow cooker soup.
17. One-pot hearty beer-infused chicken stew recipe
Also on the easy list: one-pot stew. Throw it all in, and dig into tender chicken an hour and a half later.
18. Slow cooker kale, black bean and root vegetable stew recipe
For non-kale lovers, this stew is a good way to introduce the leafy green.
19. Cauliflower cream risotto with sun-dried tomatoes recipe
Jump on the cauliflower bandwagon with this creamy risotto.
20. Baked spaghetti squash casserole recipe
For when you're trying to be healthier but still want all the cheese.
21. Citrus fajitas with mushrooms, red peppers and Brussels sprouts recipe
Delicious fajitas on Meatless Monday are indeed possible.
22. Creamy Meyer lemon pasta recipe
I would almost put up with winter all year long for Meyer lemon dishes like this one.
23. Kale and wild rice casserole recipe
Another good way to get more kale on the menu.
24. Shrimp scampi bake with lemon-chile panko recipe
A twist on shrimp scampi in just 30 minutes. Sounds like tonight's dinner.
25. Barbecue chicken-stuffed sweet potatoes with broccoli slaw recipe
The perfect all-in-one dinner.
26. Noodleless pad thai recipe
Because when you're eating low-carb, you still crave takeout.
27. Vegetarian barbecue shepherd's pie recipe
Shepherd's pie is the ultimate comfort food dish, even when it's meatless.
28. Zucchini-carrot Bundt cake recipe
Any time I can get a serving of veggies in my dessert, I'm happy. That makes it calorie free, right?
29. Vegan chocolate-dipped cinnamon brown rice crispy treats recipe
Something tells me these are just a bit better for me than those Rice Krispies Treats I used to eat.