General Tso's roasted potatoes are a delicious twist on a takeout classic
With Chinese New Year right around the corner, what better way to celebrate than enjoying some of your favorite Chinese food takeout at home with a twist?
General Tso's has to be the most popular Chinese food menu item out there, and I think we can all agree the magic is in that sticky, sweet sauce. There's no reason we need to limit the dish to the traditional chicken when the sauce can be whipped up in minutes and tossed with whatever we want!
Roasted potatoes are a great option and make for a fun Chinese side dish. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and coated in that gooey, sweet and spicy concoction we know and love, these will easily become a dinner favorite.
General Tso's roasted potatoes recipe
Roasted potatoes are tossed in a simple General Tso's sauce you can make at home.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash red pepper flakes
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Chopped chives or green onions, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper, spread them out onto a baking sheet, and roast them for 25 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- While the potatoes roast, in a small bowl, whisk together the water, soy sauce, jam, hoisin sauce, balsamic vinegar and cornstarch.
- Once the potatoes are finished, remove them from the oven, and set them aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the coconut and sesame oil to the skillet.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, cook for 1 minute, and then add the sauce.
- Whisk the sauce until thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the potatoes, toss until coated in the sauce, and then remove from the heat.
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving dish, and top with sesame seeds and chopped chives and/or green onions. Serve immediately.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.