Let the slow cooker do all the work for luscious pork soup
No need to spend your time cooking in a hot kitchen when you can let the slow cooker do it for you. And the good news is that while this pork soup is "cooking," you can relax, go shopping or do whatever it is you want to do. How great is that?
Oh, and while you're doing what you want to do, the smells coming from the kitchen are wonderful. I especially like the mild taste of the green chilies, the light broth and the big old pieces of shredded pork in this soup.
Topped with fresh lime juice and sour cream, this soup makes for a wonderful meal.
Slow cooker green chili and shredded pork soup recipe
Let the slow cooker do all the work when making this soup. Just add the ingredients, put a lid on it, and go enjoy yourself for the day. Green chilies set the stage for this light and meaty soup that makes a wonderful meal.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Boneless pork loin roast (about 2 pounds)
- 2 green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 serrano chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 dashes ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt (or salt to taste)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons sour cream, for garnish
- 4 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper or tomato, for garnish
- 4 sprigs cilantro, for garnish
- 1 lime, quartered, for garnish
- To a large slow cooker, add the green chilies, onion, serrano pepper, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and broth.
- Sprinkle the pepper on both sides of the pork, and add it fat side up to the slow cooker.
- Slow-cook on the 4-hour setting. If preferred, this can also be slow-cooked on the 6-hour setting.
- After the meat is done, with a fork in each hand, pull the pork apart, and stir it in with all the ingredients.
- Taste test it to see if it needs more salt.
- Serve while hot, and top with fresh lime juice.
- Garnish with sour cream, bell pepper and cilantro.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.