When I go to my favorite Mexican spot for dinner, I love ordering the chili rellenos. If you aren’t familiar with this dish, it’s a spicy poblano pepper that has been roasted, usually stuffed with cheese and deep-fried. Yeah, not the most healthy thing, but it sure is delicious.
I decided to get creative and find a way to combine those delicious flavors into a casserole, leaving the deep-frying for the restaurants. I came up with this really tasty casserole version that makes things easy without sacrificing any flavor. This could even double as a brunch recipe since it contains eggs. Either way, you will love the ease and the flavors of this Mexican-inspired dish.
Easy chili relleno casserole recipe
Spicy poblano peppers are diced and folded into a batter with eggs, baking mix, tomatoes and lots of Mexican cheese for this epic dinner casserole.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 40 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 4 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup baking mix (such as Bisquick)
- 4 poblano peppers, seeds removed, chopped
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup favorite salsa, for garnish
- Sour cream, fresh cilantro and red onions, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- To a mixing bowl, add the eggs, buttermilk, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Fold in the peppers and the pepper jack cheese, and then transfer the mixture to the baking dish.
- Evenly spread the sharp cheddar cheese on top of the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or until the casserole has set and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and garnish with salsa, sour cream, fresh cilantro and red onions. Best served warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.