Slow Cooker Sunday: Easy slow cooker Thai peanut chicken
Who doesn't love grabbing Asian takeout when life keeps you busy? I'll admit my husband and I get takeout way more than we both should, mostly because of how easy it is. I decided to rack my brain and try to think of healthy, easy ways to make our favorite Asian meals, like tofu or chicken dishes with peanut sauce, at home.
When you have a slow cooker peanut chicken recipe like this, you'll never order takeout again. You can prep everything ahead of time to make it even easier, and it takes only 20 minutes.
The sauce is full of fresh flavors and is rich and velvety, coating the chicken perfectly. This is great served alongside warm steamed rice.
Easy slow cooker Thai peanut chicken recipe
This easy Asian-inspired chicken dish is slow-cooked in a spicy peanut sauce along with vegetables and served warm over fluffy rice.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 6 hours | Total time: 6 hours 20 minutes
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth, plus extra if needed
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small piece fresh ginger
- 2 fresh limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons raw honey or agave
- 1 small pinch fresh cilantro
- Fresh cilantro and cashews, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh steamed rice, for serving (optional)
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add the sweet onions and sliced bell peppers.
- Lay the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables, in a single layer if possible.
- To a food processor or blender, add all the remaining ingredients.
- Blend on high until the mixture is very smooth and creamy. If the sauce is too thick, then add in additional broth until the desired consistency is reached.
- Pour the sauce on top of the chicken, and cover the slow cooker bowl with the lid.
- Set the cooker to cook on low for 6 hours or until the center of the chicken is completely cooked and no longer pink.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, and either dice or shred the chicken breasts, then add it back to the cooker.
- Gently toss the chicken and the vegetables in the sauce, making sure everything is evenly coated.
- Serve the chicken warm over fresh steamed rice, and garnish with fresh cilantro and cashews.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.