Sweet potato scones put a savory twist on a popular baked good
When you see scones, you usually think of supersweet baked treats with chocolate or fruit or covered in a layer of glaze. While I do love a good scone for dessert, did you know you can switch up the ingredients and make them savory?
These scones have mashed sweet potatoes in them, giving them a lovely orange hue. To amp up the savory flavor, I added in finely chopped bacon along with salty Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley for a little bit of earthiness. These are wonderful for breakfast or brunch alongside eggs, hash brown potatoes or even fresh fruit.
Savory sweet potato scones with bacon and Parmesan recipe
Mashed sweet potatoes, bacon and Parmesan cheese give these savory baked goods the perfect balance of flavor alongside breakfast.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 2-1/4 cups pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- Small handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 strips cooked bacon, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and butter.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, parsley, egg and buttermilk, and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, then fold the bacon, garlic and Parmesan cheese into the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and gently knead (note that the dough will be very crumbly). Cut the scones into desired shapes, and place them onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes or until the scones start to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and enjoy warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.