If you love beer and you love cheese, then this is just the soup for you. It’s velvety, super rich and creamy and very filling, not to mention delicious.
I love dipping soft pretzels or bread into this beer-infused soup, but sometimes I like topping off a hot bowl with crunchy croutons and sliced jalapeño peppers. Using the slow cooker makes this dish effortless, and it’s perfect for football parties or even tailgating.
Spicy sharp cheddar beer cheese soup recipe
Whip up this creamy beer-infused cheddar cheese soup effortlessly and easily in the slow cooker.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 12 ounces beer (I used a light beer)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh jalapeños, paprika, croutons and cilantro, for garnish
- To the bowl of a slow cooker, add all the ingredients minus the cheese.
- Cover with the lid, set the slow cooker on low, and cook for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Before serving, stir in the cheddar cheese, and continue to stir until the cheese has completely melted and the soup is very thick.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls, and garnish with croutons, jalapeños, cilantro and a sprinkle of paprika, if desired.
- Best served warm.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.