Grapefruit-rosemary cake is gourmet made super-easy
If I had to pick one shortcut I love using in the kitchen, it's using box cake mixes. While I think it's important to learn how to bake from scratch, it's nice to take a few shortcuts every once in a while.
This simple cake starts with a white cake mix and flavors it up with fresh grapefruit juice and rosemary. The combination of flavors is out of this world and packs a big, sweet punch. The glaze is easy to mix together, and when drizzled on top, it takes this cake from plain Jane to fancy Frannie.
Super-easy grapefruit-rosemary cake recipe
This simple cake is packed full of fresh grapefruit flavor and delicious rosemary. A breeze to make and perfect when drizzled with a fresh, sweet glaze.
Yields 2 (8-inch) cakes
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
For the cake
- 1 box white cake mix (plus ingredients needed per package)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-6 teaspoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons grapefruit zest
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and spray 2 (8-inch) pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the box directions, and stir in the rosemary and grapefruit zest.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans, and bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Let the cake cool while you prepare the glaze.
For the glaze
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, 3 teaspoons of whole milk, the grapefruit zest, minced rosemary and vanilla bean paste.
- If the glaze is too thick to pour, then add more milk. If it's too thin, then add more powdered sugar.
- Pour the glaze over the cake, and let sit.
For tons of great recipes, like our I <3 Comfort Food<></3>> page on Facebook.