Growing up, we ate casseroles all the time. They are so hearty, and you can pack them full of just what you crave. I made this casserole one night when I was starving but didn’t have too much protein in the house. You won’t miss the meat, trust me.
Kale and wild rice casserole recipe
This hearty casserole is packed full of wild rice, peppers, kale and just a touch of sharp cheddar cheese. It’s vegetarian-friendly, and you won’t even miss the meat.
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup diced green and red pepper
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups wild rice
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and spray an 8 x 8-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To a large skillet set over medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onion, peppers and kale. Cook until all the vegetables are starting to soften. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the garlic powder, cumin, kosher salt, wild rice and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Stir to combine, and add to the prepared baking dish.
- Drizzle the vegetable stock over the casserole, and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 to 25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.