Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, but sometimes it seems like I eat the same thing over and over and over — eggs with bacon, yogurt bowls, oatmeal and pancakes or waffles if it’s the weekend. Grains are a great way to get out of a breakfast rut, though, and wheat berries are my favorite choice when it comes to a versatile one that can be eaten at any meal.
This breakfast bowl would be perfect for a quick weekday breakfast (see the note about making the wheat berries the night before) or a delicious, almost dessertlike option for brunch. The chewy wheat berries are served with warmed milk and topped with sweet cinnamon caramelized bananas that will beat out boxed cereal any day of the week.
Wheat berry oatmeal with caramelized bananas recipe
Chewy wheat berries are served oatmeal style with sweet caramelized bananas. Make the wheat berries the night before for an even quicker breakfast!
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Nuts, coconut flakes, etc., for topping
- Into a medium saucepot, place the wheat berries, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes. Drain the water, place the wheat berries back into the pot, and add the milk. Return the pot to the stove over medium-low heat to heat through. Note: You can cook the wheat berries the day or night before, and just store them until you’re ready to use them for breakfast.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the bananas, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until the bananas start to soften and are coated in the butter-sugar mixture.
- Spoon the wheat berries into serving bowls, top with the banana mixture, and garnish as desired.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.