Celebrate the season with orange infused chicken and cranberry chutney
Last week I had the pleasure of attending The California International Marathon Health & Fitness Expo at the Sacramento Convention Center.
I was invited by Ocean Spray® and SheKnows to attend a sampling event of Ocean Spray's newest product, PACt™. PACt™ is cranberry extract water that helps cleanse and purify your body better than water alone. During the event, I was lucky enough to meet and chat with many participants for the marathon.
The most memorable person I met was an elderly woman from Washington. She shocked me when she told me she traveled all this way to run the marathon. She ran it last year as well! I was so amazed by this. I didn't ask her age, but she looked old enough to be my mom. I confessed to her that the most I ran was a 10K and it was hard to finish. Instead of asking what I did wrong she told me, "A 10K is a very long distance and you should be proud for finishing it; most people can't even run 1 mile." And, I found out we had the same motivation, to stay healthy for our children, in her case for her grandchildren as well.
I was inspired by the fresh and seasonal taste of cranberries to create this fun and festive recipe.
Orange infused chicken with cranberry chutney
- 3 chicken leg quarters
- 2 oranges
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic gloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- In large bowl squeeze juice of 2 oranges, 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt, sliced garlic and 1 cup water. Mix well and place chicken leg quarters in bowl. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Take chicken out and pat dry with paper towel. Rub chicken with remaining sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and oregano.
- In an oven-safe cooking pan, heat oil to medium high heat. Sear chicken for 4-5 minutes on both sides. Finish chicken by placing pan in oven and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of 1 orange
- Place all ingredients in small saucepan, bring to boil and down to simmer until liquid thickens to gel consistency. Cooking time: usually about 5 minutes.