Lentil and veggie sloppy Joes are a kid-friendly weeknight meal
Sloppy Joes are a classic, but this vegetarian recipe uses no ground beef. You'll love the flavor and texture in this healthier version you can indulge in.
These sloppy Joes got a bit of a makeover — no meat included, but they're still full of great flavor. What's the trick? Use lentils and mushrooms to mimic the texture of ground beef. The flavors are fabulous, and this version still works perfectly served on a bun.
I included a few extra veggies, like carrots and bell pepper, as well as seasonings with some smoky and spicy flavors. Double up this recipe, and serve these Joes to a larger group, or enjoy it as it is any night of the week.
Lentil and veggie sloppy Joes recipe
Whether you're feeding kids or adults for a weeknight meal or a fun gathering, this version of sloppy Joes will satisfy. Trust me, you won't miss the meat.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1/3 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried, roasted cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried, roasted coriander
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
- 4 burger-style buns
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and carrot, and cook for about 4 minutes or until the onion has softened.
- Add the bell pepper, salt, paprika, black pepper, cumin, coriander and tomato paste. Stir to combine, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce and water, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, and add the Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Add the cooked lentils and mushrooms, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm on buns.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.