Tempeh, a meatless staple in the vegan and vegetarian diet, is transformed into a delicious spicy buffalo wing-inspired snack complete with ranch for dipping.
One of my all time favorite things to snack on when watching a game or going to bar is hot spicy buffalo wings. Something about the way that hot sauce just hugs the chicken and the way the cool creamy ranch calms the heat down. However if you are a vegetarian, not many restaurants serve up a meatless version of wings. The good news is that you can make your very own meat-free "wings" right at home with a few simple ingredients. Tempeh is an excellent replacement for meat and really works perfectly in this recipe.
Spicy vegetarian-style tempeh buffalo wings with ranch recipe
Prep time 15 minutes | Chill time 2 hours | Cook time 18 minutes | Total time 2 hours 33 minutes
Yield 4 servings
- 1 (8 ounce or larger) package tempeh
- 1 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- 1 tablespoon powdered ranch salad dressing mix
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Ranch dressing for serving (I used Simply Dressed® Ranch)
- Remove the tempeh from the package and cut into thick strips.
- In a large bowl add the wing sauce, powdered ranch and the black pepper. Mix well and add the tempeh to the mixture, tossing well.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours to allow the tempeh to absorb the hot sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the tempeh out in a single layer and bake uncovered for 15-18 minutes or until the tempeh looks as though it is starting to slightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and place the tempeh on a serving plate and garnish with parsley if desired.
- Serve warm with Simply Dressed ranch on the side for dipping.