Think strudel for an appetizer or part of a lighter meal. No, not dessert strudel (but who am I to judge if you choose dessert for mealtime?), but the savory kind. You’ll really get wrapped up in this delightful dish.
When I think of strudel, my mind automatically heads to dessert (thanks to my sweet tooth), but this recipe for savory strudel with prosciutto, sweet peppers and mozzarella is something to serve before dessert.
I’m not going to lie. You can deliver this impressive dish with almost zero effort, and your guests will never know how easy it is to make this golden, flaky delight.
Whether you’re entertaining or looking for something significant to serve as part of a lighter meal, the sweet peppers, prosciutto and mozzarella get wrapped in a flaky crust (thank you, puff pastry) that keeps them warm and tasty.
Savory strudel with prosciutto, sweet peppers and mozzarella recipe
This is a perfect dish when you’re entertaining. It takes only a few minutes to put it together, and the rest of the time is basically spent in the oven. No fuss, no muss! It delivers a pretty presentation, and you can easily switch up the ingredients.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Inactive time: 10 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 sheet packaged puff pastry (packages usually come with 2 sheets)
- 6 ounces prosciutto, cut into 4-inch strips
- 1 (10 ounce) jar roasted, sweet red peppers, drained and sliced to lie flat
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Flour to dust work surface
- Parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Add a sheet of parchment paper to a baking sheet, and set aside.
- Dust a clean, flat work surface with the flour. Lay out the puff pastry, and carefully roll it into a rectangle, sized approximately 12 x 14 inches.
- Use a pastry scraper to help lift the pastry up off the work surface so it doesn’t stick when you begin to roll it. Keep it flat on the work surface.
- Layer the prosciutto out flat over half the dough (on the shorter side of the dough). Be sure to keep a 1-inch edge around the ingredients.
- Follow with the peppers, and then finally, the mozzarella cheese.
- Roll the dough from the end with the ingredients all the way to the opposite end. Tuck the edges of the dough under the roll.
- Place on the baking sheet seam side down. Add the water to the egg, mix, and then lightly brush over the top and sides of the roll.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden, then remove from the oven, and let cool on a rack for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Slice into 2-inch pieces, and serve.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.