Make-ahead cinnamon-cashew chia pudding is an easy, healthy treat
Remember those horribly annoying "cha-cha-cha-chia" commercials? Well, those seeds do a lot more than grow grass on top of funny-looking heads — they happen to pack one heck of a nutritional punch too.
Similar to flax, 1 ounce of chia seeds contains 9 grams of fat (the healthy omega-3 kind), 11 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein. Not bad for a tiny little seed! They're perfect for adding to smoothies, topping your bowl of morning oatmeal or even sprinkling on salads, but one of their best uses, in my opinion, is chia pudding.
Mixing the seeds with any liquid and letting it sit for a few hours turns the mixture into a simple pudding. If you're OK with the texture (think tapioca, but a little smaller), the possibilities are endless when it comes to making chia pudding. This version blends nuts and milk with cinnamon for a tasty porridge-like consistency when the chia seeds are added. It's a quick and healthy way to start your day when you're looking for something different from the typical cereal or eggs.
Make-ahead cinnamon-cashew chia pudding recipe
This make-ahead breakfast pudding is packed with nutritional chia seeds for a healthy start to your day. Choose your favorite fruit or nuts to top it off.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 8 hours | Total time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup plain cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups liquid (milk of choice, water or a combination of both)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-1/2 tablespoons chia seeds
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients except for chia seeds, and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, and stir in the chia seeds.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator in the morning, stir, and top with additional nuts and/or fruit before serving.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.