Getting my boys to eat any type of vegetable has been quite a mission, since they are both extremely picky eaters. Sure, I’ve tried vegetable “noodles” and sneaking veggies into many other various recipes, but what about a dessert?
In this recipe, I made a basic cake batter with healthier ingredients, like pure maple syrup (not that bad, cheap stuff either), organic raisins, whole-wheat pastry flour, walnuts and fresh carrots and zucchini. I promise, your kids will not taste any vegetables, only their sweetness, in the cake. Even though this is a dessert, it’s a great way to add vegetables into your family’s diet.
Organic zucchini-carrot Bundt cake recipe
Fresh carrots and zucchini are combined into a spiced cake batter baked and topped with an easy lemon cream cheese frosting. Tip: This frosting is great for drizzling, as I have done in my recipe. Simply heat the cream cheese frosting for 30 seconds or until slightly runny, and then drizzle it over the cake, or use the thicker version as is, and spread.
Prep time: 30 minutes | Bake time: 45 minutes | Inactive time: 1 hour | Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes
For the cake (dry ingredients)
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
For the cake (wet ingredients)
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup raw organic coconut oil, melted
- 1-1/2 cups organic coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 large organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large zucchini, finely grated
- 3 large carrots, finely grated
For the lemon cream cheese frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1 large lemon, juiced and zested
- Pinch sea salt
For garnish (optional)
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 orange, zested
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and spray a Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine all the wet ingredients, and mix very well until smooth.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix until there are no lumps.
- Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the center of the cake is completely baked.
- While the cake is baking, add all the ingredients for the lemon cream cheese frosting to a bowl. Using a hand mixer, blend until the frosting is smooth, and then set it aside.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and carefully turn it out onto a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool for 1 hour.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, drizzle the lemon cream cheese frosting over the top. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the citrus zest and chopped walnuts, if desired. Slice and serve.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.