Who says sangrias are reserved for the summertime? Swap the summer fruits for more winter-appropriate fruits, like cranberries and oranges, and — voilà — you have yourself a refreshing sangria ready for the sippin’ throughout the holiday months. And on Christmas Day, specifically, we have just the white Christmas sangria recipe for you to make this year.
This year, skip the mulled wines and hot ciders in favor of this festive, eye-catching Christmas sangria that pairs bright, white wine and fresh cranberries with aromatic rosemary, in addition to a host of other berries and flavors. It’s so good, even Santa would be happy to get a sip of this.
The best part is you can whip up this white Christmas sangria in 20 minutes or less, making this cocktail perfect for any holiday party or family get-together.
White Christmas sangria recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 3 tart Granny Smith apples
- 1 large orange
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 bottles dry white wine (we used an unoaked chardonnay)
- 1 cup white cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 16 ounces ginger ale or club soda
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- To begin, chop the apples into slices, discarding the cores. Place into a large pitcher. Slice the oranges, and add them to the pitcher. (We sliced the orange whole so they would be circular slices for a prettier final product.) Add the whole cranberries and raspberries. Using a spoon, carefully stir so as to not break the raspberries.
- Pour in the wine, white cranberry juice and sugar, and stir to combine. Let the sangria chill for about 30 minutes. When you’re ready to serve, top the pitcher with ginger ale or club soda, and add fresh rosemary to garnish.
A version of this article was originally published in December 2014.