The Meatless Monday movement encourages people to do something positive for their health and the environment by going meatless once a week. Try it out for yourself with this delicious recipe!
Collard green wraps with black bean hummus
Serving size 2 (makes 4 wraps)
Wraps are convenient and versatile, and they make for quick and easy meals. To take the health benefits of this tasty meal option up a notch, try these vegan collard green wraps. They’re stuffed with vegetables and a creamy black bean hummus for a light but satisfying lunch or dinner.
For the hummus:
- 1 (19-ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon raw sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
For the wraps:
- 4 large collard green leaves
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Half an English cucumber, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 an avocado sliced
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor, and pulse until just combined.
- Lay the collard greens flat on your work surface.
- Spread desired amount of hummus down along the centre of each leaf.
- Spread 1/2 a tablespoon of mustard over the hummus.
- Lay the tomatoes and cucumber evenly along the centre of each leaf.
- Sprinkle shredded carrots over the other ingredients.
- Lay slices of avocado on top of each line of vegetables.
- Roll up the leaves, slice each wrap in half, and enjoy!
You will likely have leftover black bean hummus, but that’s a good problem to have! Simply store it in a resealable container in the fridge, and use it to make more wraps the next day or as a dip for veggies, crackers or chips.