The Meatless Monday movement encourages people to do something positive for their health and the environment by going meatless once a week. Try it out for yourself with this delicious recipe!
Quinoa-stuffed portobello mushrooms
Serving size 6
The meaty texture of portobello mushrooms makes them an excellent substitute for meat. And when you load them up with quinoa, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and creamy goat cheese, you’re in for a real treat.
If you love this dish, then check out these creamy stuffed portobello mushrooms >>
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 6 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 a red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups packed spinach, shredded
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional, for garnish)
- In a medium pot, bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and let it cook until all the water has been absorbed — roughly 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and let the quinoa sit.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Gently remove the stems from the portobello mushrooms. Rinse the mushrooms in water until thoroughly damp. Rub the tops of the mushrooms with half the olive oil. Place the mushrooms, tops down, on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 8 minutes. When they are done, remove them from the oven, and drain off any juice that might have pooled in their centres.
- While the mushrooms are baking, in a medium frying pan, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil with the red onion for 2 to 3 minutes or until the onions are tender. Add in the button mushrooms and garlic, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add in the spinach, and cook until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Stir the cooked quinoa, sun-dried tomatoes, goat cheese, oregano and salt into the vegetable mixture. Spoon the mixture onto the portobello mushroom caps, and distribute it evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired, and serve.